Natural Supplements to Help Ease Menopause Symptoms and Hormone Deficiencies
In its simplest terms, menopause is one year after a woman stops having her period. Before (perimenopause), during (menopausal), and after (post-menopausal) there are changes in hormones, which can effect mood.
The best way to prepare for many of life’s hurdles is to have all the facts, so you can determine how to best help yourself. This article looks at ways to navigate menopausal symptoms using herbs and other natural means.
It isn’t like you wake up one day and menopause happens…that would be too easy. According to the Mayo Clinic, in the U.S. the average age for menopause is 51. You will probably reach menopause around the same age your mother did.
Before menopause, you’ll go through a transitional period for about four years. It can start in the mid to late forties and is referred to (as above) – perimenopause.
Symptoms of perimenopause vary from woman to woman. Some don’t need treatment to relieve or manage symptoms, while more severe symptoms may need treatment.
- Periods may be longer or shorter than normal
- May skip a month or two between cycles
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Mood swings
- Hair loss
- Bone loss
- Problems sleeping
- Vaginal dryness
- Weight gain
- Dry skin
You can help yourself prepare for menopause by making changes that will affect your overall health for the better and the long term.
- Quit smoking – yes, we know it’s not that simple, so see your doctor for help.
- Diet can effect, not just menopausal symptoms, but also your overall health.
- Eat oily fish, Alaskan salmon, cod, tuna, herring, Mahi-Mahi, to name a few.
- Fresh legumes (lentils, chickpeas, kidney, pinto and black beans)
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Vitamins can also help. A multi-vitamin with B-6, B-12, and D, plus minerals like zinc and calcium all help the body work its best.1
Herbs and Whole Food Supplements
Unlike many drugs, herbs often work by supporting your body’s own natural functions and thereby do not have as many side-effects. Always consult with a physician before taking anything new.
Following are several whole food supplements from Standard Process that have been proven to help ease symptoms associated with menopause.
One of the best herbs for relieving stress and anxiety is Ashwagandha. This herb is an adaptogen which means it supports equilibrium in the body. Ashwagandha can also boost a sluggish thyroid and help your brain function better.
Ashwagandha Complex contains Ashwagandha, Licorice, Skullcap and Korean Ginseng. These herbs are used to:
- maintain / improve general well-being
- help the body adapt to the changes of everyday life
- support vitality and energy
- maintain healthy mood*
Symplex® F supports the healthy function of the ovaries and the adrenal, pituitary, and thyroid glands. * This supplement:
- offers nucleoprotein-mineral extracts that support cellular health
- is made with bovine ovary PMG™ extract*
Chaste Tree contains high-quality Chaste Tree berries to help restore natural ovulation and progesterone production until your body is ready to stop cycling altogether. Bringing progesterone levels back in balance helps offset estrogen dominance and its related symptoms, which include hot flashes and low libido. Chaste Tree contains flavonoids and:
- supports healthy levels of the hormones prolactin and progesterone in the body
- eases discomfort associated with premenstrual syndrome
- aids in normal reproductive function in women*
FemCo contains Shatavari, Schisandra, and White Peony. These herbs have been traditionally used to:
- support normal reproductive function in women
- ease mild cramping associated with menstruation
- encourage healthy menstrual cycles
- support women’s overall well-being and vitality*
Black Currant Seed Oil contains the essential fatty acid gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) and:
- encourages proper eicosanoid synthesis*
- supports the body's normal tissue repair process
- maintains standard blood flow
- supports healthy immune system function*
-Dr. Robert Powell, The “Wholefood Guru”
At Wholefood Guru, we strive to provide the most up-to-date clinical information on improving health through whole food supplementation, diet, and lifestyle modifications.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.